Managed by the Church of Ireland, Saint Matthias’ has been an important part of community life in West Cork ever since the school welcomed its first students in 1827.
In the intervening years and decades, pupils of Saint Matthias’ have gone on to further education and achieve distinction at second and third level and, afterwards, to pursue their lives’ ambition as members of our community, in places beyond our village, in towns and cities throughout in Ireland and further afield in countries across the world.
At Saint Matthias’, we prepare our pupils for life ahead. Our purpose always is to treat our students as individuals, to care for and nurture them so that they may enjoy their education.
We invest time in each child’s education, always mindful of the fact that the things a child learns in national school will be the foundation for later study and will become part of his or her life and memories throughout their adult years.
St Matthias’ National School is a co-educational school under Church of Ireland management with approximately 36 pupils on roll between the ages of 4 and 12 years.
The school is situated next to St Matthias’ Church just outside the village of Ballydehob on the Durrus Road. The actual building was constructed in 1901 then renovated, modernised and officially re-opened in 1988. We cater for children in the catchment area of Ballydehob, Schull, Dunbeacon and Kilcoe.
The school is served by a public transport system operated by Bus Eireann.
At this school, the staff members do their utmost to give the children as broad an education as possible.
We also value the fundamental role of parents, knowing that teachers and parents must work closely together if the children are to receive the best possible education.